Past Present Future

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Reflection of Avatars


'New Born'
2010
.

The title of this work is 'New born'. I chose this because the 'avatar' is looking into a flower where it has a ring. It reminded me of a new born or recreation as the time is passing the avatar while the avatar itself is standing still. The ring inside the flower represents things that are important to me for example love, friendship and family. The bridge behind in the background represents my home, Korea that is a bit far from Australia.

This work uses analogous colour scheme such as blue, purple and green. It is mostly cool colours and tints of black and white are used to create tone and form. The work is going in a horizontal direction as the wind effect has been created horizontally. The texture of the avatar is smooth and soft like jelly by giving the plastic filter effect. The combination of different places has given an effect of an illusion effect to the cyber space.

Varieties of tools in Photoshop have been used to create the avatar and the cyberspace. Lots of photos of different things were cut and paste on one file, then the colours were changed using hue/saturation. Then blending change was used to morph imaged onto each other. The wind effect for the background was done in filter-stylize-wind. The plastic effect for the clothes of the avatars was used from filter gallery-plastic wrap.

The mood is phantasm and this work represents the moment of facing your own emotions. The ideas explored while creating this work is your own personal space filled with emotions. All the flowers in the field are filled with emotions/feelings that exists inside the avatar. It is a place for you to reflect back at yourself. Personally, I don't really like this work maybe because I am the model for the avatar. I don't like using myself as an avatar for some reason. The environmental thoughts have influenced my work, as the base of this work is grass and flowers, which are very environmental.



'Explode'
2010

The title of this work is 'Explode' meaning the exploding of the supposed 'God Mother of Nature' about the littering and demolishing our environment. The focal point of this work would be the avatar in the center of the piece because it is an important part of the work. As the avatar is the main part of this work it is very important and the avatar also contributes to the mood of the work. The smokes behind the avatar is symbolising the aurora, or the vision of the avatar's mood. This work has used both warm and cool colours that mix well together to give a contrast. The direction that this piece is flowing is both horizontal and vertical due to the smokes going up and the clouds/rivers moving side ways. The texture of this whole work is expressed as just like touching the water. I have tried to display the avatar as 'just been out from water' or 'wet' and fragile as she is symbolising the nature.

The tools used in this piece are similar to the previous work. Lots of rubbing and blending change were used, also in filter gallery-dark strokes, cutout and plastic wrap was used to create the texture of the avatar. I have changed the colour of the background to more brighter and colourful sunset, as sunset is the most beautiful thing you can watch everyday. The mood of this work is sad and a little of anger of what has been done to the environment. Although I am not an environmental person, recently the changes to the weather and the after effect of watching ‘2012’ and ‘Avatar’ have worried me. I do personally like this piece not just because I'm not the model for the avatar but it expresses one of my concerns.




'22% Purity'
2010


The third avatar work is called '22% Purity' because I wanted to express that angel or the 'good' are not always good as in emotionally and physically. The number of the percentage is just the number that I like, as I would love to stay as 22 forever. I think it would be the best age as to how you would look and feel and more. The bubbles represent the purity and childhood memories as I am guessing there are 22 bubbles in the background. I wanted to express the thought of people lose their purity and memories of their childhood as they grow older and older. The colours used in the background are cool colours that calm the work down, but warm colours for the avatar to grab the attention. The blue lip unified with the background. The shades of pink in the background also keep the avatar and the background together as one piece.

The tools used for this work is also similar to the previous avatars. I have used angled strokes to create the texture of the avatar. I left it without blending to give a little disappearing effect. Because of this, the avatar looks a bit shaken, or out of focus, which is meant to represent the disappearing of purity and childhood memories. I have composed the avatar to be in the center (always) as because the avatar is the main subject in this work. This work has been influenced socially and environmentally as to where I was living and social life. This is my favourite piece of work as it is the closest one that expresses my feeling and thoughts towards growing older as I would be graduating next year.



No comments:

Post a Comment